through tears and laughter

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Challenges

Here I am, I've finally decided to start a blog and see how it goes. I've been thinking about it for a while, so this will prove as a bit of an experiment!

It's quite a daunting thing really, staring at a blank box and wondering what to write about - but empowering too. I can write whatever I want.

I had a lecturer last semester who loved breaking down words and looking at the origins. She's an amazingly intellectual lady, and at first I couldn't handle it. She spoke in huge words and it was too much for this humble student teacher who was used to interactive workshops (as opposed to long lectures). However, by the end of the course, I was loving it - there's something about rising to a challenge and beating it.


The reason I thought of that lecturer was of one thing I particularly remember - talking about the autonomous individual, she said that "autonomous" comes from the word "author" - you are the author, you "write" (or do) what you want to. And in sitting here with the blank box, all I could hear was "you are the author" running through my head.

Speaking of challenges, I beat the vaccum cleaner today. The head bit was totally blocked up with miscellaneous dust and popcorn and who knows what else... it was a combined effort and in the end I managed to get my little finger to unlodge what was about a cup of sludge. See, we'd tried putting water through it. So all the dust had turned to a thick black sludge. Hence why I now have what looks like tar under my nails.

It was very satisfying to have beat the blockage.

6 Comments:

At July 02, 2006 10:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'll done my wife! here's a big word for you bedraggled! Get that one stuck in your vaccum!

Love you

 
At July 02, 2006 10:22 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done my wife! here's a big word for you bedraggled! Get that one stuck in your vaccum!

Love you

 
At July 02, 2006 10:25 pm, Blogger Liz, Scott and Harry said...

Yay my first comment! How exciting.

And I can't believe you didn't believe me that bedraggled was a word... :P

 
At July 04, 2006 10:46 pm, Blogger jeanie said...

So the bug bit you too, eh?! Welcome to the world of blogging; you know, you are now officially a geek......

looking forward to more posts.

 
At July 05, 2006 7:46 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Liz.

Theres another one down ha? I'm still on the sidlines thinking about it to!

 
At July 08, 2006 11:13 am, Blogger Liz, Scott and Harry said...

Thanks ladies!

Nic'la I'll be seeing your blog up and running soon! hehe...

Oh and Jeanie, unfortunately I've always been a geek! (as my husband will testify) :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home