through tears and laughter

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

My ideals as a teacher

As part of an assignment for uni, we have to write our own personal philosophy statement - our "bottom line" as a teacher. Below is my first draft. Feedback is welcome!

In many years to come, the teacher who is remembered with great fondness is the one who truly cared. I strive to be that teacher.

I believe that all students have the right and responsibility to learn in a safe, supportive and engaging classroom environment.

In this class, we all go through learning together. We support each-other, offer ideas and value different perspectives. We challenge each-other in a respectful way. We offer and accept help freely.

We are active listeners and speakers. We are not afraid to say what we are feeling or thinking, for we know that we will not be laughed at or judged.

Diversities are recognised and celebrated in culture, beliefs, religion, gender and ability. Opinions are not only valued and encouraged, but expected.

We care about what is going on in our class, school, community and our world. Not only do we have compassion, but we strive to make a difference.

We are aware of what we are learning and why we are learning it.

We endeavour to be the best that we can be - in our learning and in who we are as people.

2 Comments:

At August 31, 2006 11:11 am, Blogger Priscilla said...

heya, thanks for sharing your thoughts on my blog :) yeah it would be a tough situation...i guess its sorta similar to the Columbine Highschool massacre, where some of those teenagers were asked at gunpoint if they believed in God.

Btw, i like your bottom-line statement for being a teacher. Are you trainin to be a primary or highschool teacher? My friend's doin her post-grad dip in teachin at the mo, and said its been an intense year (she's goin to be a primary school teacher).

--Priscilla

 
At August 31, 2006 1:44 pm, Blogger Priscilla said...

Yeah I was gonna mention about that story in Daniel when I posted about it on my blog, because we just had a sermon a couple of Sundays ago on Daniel 3 :) its a great chapter from a great book :)

Yeah my friend (the one doin the PGrad dip in teaching) found to her surprise she quite enjoyed teachin the intermediate type age group as well, altho I'm sure the fact that the intermediate school she was at for one of her placements would've helped :)

I've been told a few times by family and some friends that I should be a teacher, but yeah I'm not really too keen on it at this stage (im in my 2nd year at Aucks Uni, doin a BA) even tho I teach piano to kids as my part-time job hehe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home