through tears and laughter

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Attitude

It's probably a little known fact that there's a fantastic tv programme on Sunday mornings - 9.30am on Channel 1.

I myself discovered it by accident a year or two ago.

I watch it every Sunday morning, and each time marvel at how such a great programme can be on at that time, and not at 7.30pm on a weeknight.

Attitude is a NZ show (current affairs/doco style) discussing what life is like for people living with a disability. It shows real people doing real things, and all the presenters really understand because they themselves have a "disability" (for lack of a better word).

It has given me insights on not only the issues that these people deal with, but also how they overcome the challenges in their life.


Some of the stories I remember:

The teenage boy who has Downs Sydrome and is learning how to drive - and working with a dedicated team of adults to best manage his own life.

The Special Olympics - kids who can't see participating in running races.

A visit to a disability expo in the States - seeing state of the art wheelchairs that can climb stairs and go up to standing height.

A group of kids at a highschool who, as part of their technology project, made a special bike for a local man who has cerebal palsy.


Today, one of the stories was about LifeBoyz Trust (which is run in Highland Park). This an afterschool/holiday programme for boys - both those with a disability and those without. It just so happens that the new venue for my church, cession, is at the same centre (The Depot) where LifeBoyz meet. We've already had the opportunity to work with them last holidays and from what I hear, it was hugely beneficial to all parties.

I taped this morning's programme, so if anyone would like to see that particular episode just give me a holla.

My challenge to you this week:
Next Sunday, turn the tv on to Channel 1 at 9.30am to watch Attitude. You won't regret it.

1 Comments:

At July 30, 2006 10:36 pm, Blogger jeanie said...

I actually stumbled across it this morning too and it was cool! I think I missed the part with the Life Boyz so if I could borrow your tape that would be sweet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home