through tears and laughter

Friday, October 20, 2006

thoughts

On Wednesday night, I was about to head out the door for Girls' Brigade, when I realised that I was taking devotions (bible study) that night. Eek! After uttering a quick prayer, I had a think while I was brushing my teeth.

I thought about how often God teaches me stuff through everyday little things that happen, things I do everyday without thinking.

So, in line with my current addiction, I got thinking about Sudoku. What can God teach us from this?

Well, it takes patience to do Sudoku, and that's a characteristic we should strive for. Yeah good lesson, but I realised there's more to it than that...

So I thought about the Sudoku puzzle that wasn't yet completed. It looked as though it didn't make sense - gaps everywhere, numbers all over the place - in fact, at first glance, it appears that there is no logical connection between them at all.


When I first tried to do Sudoku, it seemed impossible to have 1-9 not only in every box, but every column and row too. I had no idea. It wasn't until my friend Franny showed me how to do it, that I realised how it could be done. But it took time, and if I hadn't been shown, I think I would have given up.

To me, this is like our lives. Sometimes they seem all over the place, with gaps everywhere, and we don't quite know how everything fits together. We want to be perfect, with 1-9 in every box, column and row... sometimes we beat ourselves up because we're not perfect. We put a number in the wrong box and have to scribble it out and put a new one. We don't look carefully enough to see where everything fits. We don't look to God to give us a hint where to put the numbers. We try to do it ourselves, and fail.

But God knows how everything fits together, He knows where all the numbers go. And although we strive for perfection, we never reach it in this life. God shows us where to puts the numbers and teaches us how to strive for the best in life, knowing that one day, He will make us perfect.

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. [Phillipians 3:12]

1 Comments:

At October 20, 2006 1:08 pm, Blogger jeanie said...

Perfect!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home