through tears and laughter

Thursday, August 31, 2006

As it is in Heaven

Today the hubby scored us free tickets to see a film at Rialto.

What a beautiful film.

AS IT IS IN HEAVEN (subtitled) follows the lives of people living in a small village in Sweden. A famous international conductor, Daniel Dareus, spent the first 7 years of his life here – and he moves back in adulthood after he needs a change of direction. He goes there to “listen”, but is soon gently coerced to attend the village church choir practice, and then to give advice.

We meet the members of the choir, and gradually their hidden brokenness is revealed. We see how they deal with conflict, and we feel their pain. We learn how to feel our own music.

We learn that once we are able to see the wings of angels on all people, we’ll be complete.

In my eyes, this is a strong correlation to what Christians should be striving for – to see Jesus in all people. To me, this film addressed many issues to do with humanity, church and God. We see how individuals struggle with the concept of sin and forgiveness, and how those who deem to be “proper Christians” are quick to judge others instead of loving.

This film also demonstrated how “church” is really people, the community… individuals supporting and challenging each other.

There is also a powerful storyline of domestic violence and courage.

The soundtrack was amazing… powerful… beautiful. At the end of the film, only two people left the theatre during the credits. The rest of us sat there in silence, soaking up the music.

Things to be aware of: There were a couple of booby shots that could make people uncomfortable, but it wasn’t gratuitous. There’s also some violence, which had me clinging to my husband for a bit, but this does add powerfully to the overall effect of the film.

AS IT IS IN HEAVEN strongly shows the brokenness of humanity, and how we need unconditional love and support from others. Most of all though, this film is about finding the courage to love.

-------------------------------------------

To read Scott's (more comprensive) review, go to filmguide.co.nz.

-------------------------------------------

One of the characters is Gabriella, a victim of domestic violence. Daniel writes a song especially for her to sing.

Gabriella's Song

It's now that life is mine
I have had a time here on Earth
And my longing has led me here
Things I missed and things I gained

This is still the road I've chosen
My confidence far beyond words
That has shown a little piece
Of the sky I've never reached

I want to feel that I have lived
All the time I have
I shall live what I want
I want to feel that I have lived
To know that I'm good enough

I have never forgotten who I was
I've just left it sleeping
Maybe I have had no choice
Only the will to exist

I want to live happily, for it's me who I am
To be able to be strong and free
See how night turns into day
I am here and my life is only mine
And the sky that I thought that existed
I shall find it there somewhere

I want to feel that I've lived my life

Click here to listen to this song (in Swedish).

2 Comments:

At October 15, 2007 1:15 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for your opinion about the film and the lyric of Gabriella´s song. Lots of kisses from Sapin

 
At February 02, 2008 8:51 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the film, the song, the music, the characters, the story, the setting. I have seen the film more than 13 times. Bought the DVD, the CD. Cannot get enough!Thankyou Gabriella, Lena and every single other player.
Eleanor South Africa.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home